Wednesday, March 27, 2024

The 21st Century Caveman

 

Recently a student equated one of my magnificent classroom wisdoms to “something from a 16th century caveman”. I assume he is referring to it being old and outdated. Seriously,  1500’s? I don’t think you could call Da Vince a caveman. I mean, were there even cavemen in the 1500’s? Do peasants count as cavemen? Do they have to live in real caves? Truthfully, I’m really not even sure what he meant. Still, as usually happens, it got me thinking about cavemen and in particular, cavemen of the present era. So just what is a caveman?

The Oxford Dictionary of languages says;

cave·man – noun

1. a prehistoric man who lived in caves.

2. a man whose behavior is uncivilized or violent. "You can't change my mind by caveman tactics”.

 

I personally do not know anyone who lives in a real cave. I think we’re all too spoiled with running water, indoor plumbing, and electric appliances. It is definition #2 that makes me pause. Lately I have seen both uncivilized & violent behavior, which can often go hand in hand. I only drive 4 miles to work, but I would say I see exhibitions of uncivilized behavior and/or violence several times a day. People yell that you are “to slow” or “in the way”. At sporting events, parents get violent with referees during their child’s games because they didn’t like the call. This week I found out one of our local Walmart stores has closed the self-checkout lines because of rampant theft. Hardly a day goes by without a report of someone attacking another person.  It might be road rage, an argument over a parking place or even someone just being tired of standing in line. I would say these all count as uncivilized. It has, unfortunately, become ridiculous. So are they all really 21st century cavemen? Well, not really. You see, violence and uncivilized behavior is nothing new. It started with Cain and has continued to the present day. It comes standard in the human condition. So what is the cure? We must be changed on the inside. We must love the unlovely. We treat others the way we want to be treated. We overcome evil with good.  Caveman or New Man? It’s your choice.

 

 

Therefore if any man be in Christ, he is a new creature: old things are passed away; behold, all things are become new. 2 Corinthians 5:17 NIV

 

Do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good. Romans 12:21 NIV

 

No comments:

Post a Comment