Saturday, March 9, 2024

What Do You Have That I Would Want?

 

As a summer State Park employee, one of the great perks is free camping. Pismo State Beach is one of my all-time favorites. We love the beach; I love fishing for surf perch. At some point in the week we will walk to the Pier and visit the shops. One of the things on my list is to have fish & chips. I even have a favorite spot. On one trip, the group decided to try a different restaurant, something that was not to my liking. We ordered our meals and I was sitting there half tired, half moping, when one of the managers walked buy. “Why so glum? He said. I just kind of shrugged it off. “I hope you find your happy place”, he added as he smiled and went on to another table. My meal came and it was worse than I had feared. Not only was I not at my favorite spot, but they had brought a marinara sauce instead of tartar sauce. Could it get any worse? Being the patriarch of the group, I decided to suck it up and make the best of it. When I tasted the sauce, my taste buds began to tingle. My nostrils flared. (Ok, I know that is probably not an appealing visual image, but work with me here.) They had mixed horse radish sauce into the marinara! It was incredible! I soon found myself at the counter feeling reminiscent of Oliver Twist. Please sir, may I have more? It just so happened that the server was the manager form earlier. He smiled at me. I had found my happy place. It turns out, he had what I was looking for; I just needed to experience it. The taste was all I needed.

Contrast this with one of the saddest experiences I have ever had while teaching. One of my colleagues was trying to share the Gospel with a senior young lady who’s family was from another faith. Her words were bitterly piercing, but true. “What do you have that I would want?” She replied. Some of your model Christian kids swear in the locker room. I don’t. Other cheat on tests or assignments. I don’t. What do you have that I don’t have.” It was a devastating condemnation of our current “Christian” society. So many Christian’s walks do not match their talk. So how about you? What do you have that someone would want? If they spend time with you, will they desire the peace, love, and joy that you have in Christ? If not, what is the point of it all?   


In the same way, let your light shine before others, that they may see your good deeds and glorify your Father in heaven. Matthew 5:16  (NIV)

No comments:

Post a Comment