Friday, April 19, 2024

Fences

 

Fences, to me, are a delightfully enigmatic concept. They can exist as rigid impassible barriers or as mystical electrical fields. The can be made of wire, stone, wood, or other hard materials. They can be electrified or have razor sharp edges of barbs to help get their point across. They can be used to keep things out or to keep things in. They can be pretty, dainty or cute. They can be huge, ugly, and intimidating. They can be tall, short or in between. They can be a totally invisible wire hidden underground, yet still extremely effective. Just ask my son’s dog. (Well, you might have to ask my son. I don’t think the dog talks.)

Even their placement is often an exercise in logistics. Should they be placed directly next to, close to, or ten feet away for whatever has merited a fence in the first place? All things that take deliberate thought.

One commonality of fences is that in some form or another, they are meant to protect someone or something. For the most part they do their job quite nicely. They keep people from falling off cliffs, habitat areas safe from being trampled, and our precious children and pets from running into traffic.

So if fences are meant to keep things away, why are they such a draw? Children (and some adults I might add) seem to be drawn to climb or even sit on fences. I’ve even seen some individuals that totally ignore the barrier, often to their own peril. It’s the reason for multiple signs, paint colors, and even guards in some places. I suppose it may stem from our innate desire to explore and investigate, but I suspect it has more to do with the rebellious nature of our fallen condition. We humans do seem to hate being told what to do, even if it’s for our own good. Still, for my part, I’m good with fences. They keep me out of trouble and it definitely makes a good place to lean your fishing pole on.

No comments:

Post a Comment