Friday, May 31, 2024

Run the Race

 

It is a major theme in books and movies. Just as all seems lost, things come together and the day is saved. The hero tries one more time and succeeds. Help arrives just in the nick of time. A convoluted plot twist comes together and foil the antagonist’s plans. It’s the proverbial “happy ending”. It’s what we rally desire. It’s also Biblical. I’m also one of those people that like to look ahead and see if the hero makes it. I’ve read the ending of our struggles; we win! Or better said, we are on the winning team. One of the reasons I generally dislike the horror/thriller movie genre is that often no one wins, and the bad guy usually gets away.

The Apostle Paul said, For I am already being poured out like a drink offering, and the time for my departure is near. I have fought the good fight, I have finished the race, I have kept the faith. Now there is in store for me the crown of righteousness, which the Lord, the righteous Judge, will award to me on that day—and not only to me, but also to all who have longed for his appearing.

2 Timothy 4:6-8 (NIV)

When running a race, the most vulnerable areas are the beginning and the end. Think of a marathon. Now let’s be honest. Although I have coached middle school track and run the mile, I have never (nor do I ever plan to) run a marathon. I have had many friends who have, and they describe it as a battle.
The start is where you prepare everything, warm up, and then set your pace. Set it wrong and you will either not run fast enough or wear out too soon. It is said that most runners start too fast.
The middle is where you find your second wind. You glide along and hit your stride. It can be a time of almost automation like running on automatic.
As you approach the finish, fatigue, thirst, discomfort, and a desire to give up kick in and the attack really begins.
So how does this relate to the Christian life? Whenever you are busy in Kingdom work. It is the beginning and end where you are most vulnerable. Many fail to get started because of early discouragement. I have seen others stop just short of the finish line because they didn’t know where they were at. Is Satan attacking you? You may be about to embark on something great. Are you having to resist the fiery darts of the wicked one? You may be closer to the finish than you thought. Don’t quit! Never give up! God will see you through.

“Let us not become weary in doing good, for at the proper time we will reap a harvest if we do not give up.”
Galatians 6:9 NIV

No comments:

Post a Comment