Wednesday, June 5, 2024

Beauty and the Beast


 Tale as old as time, Song as old as rhyme, Beauty and the beast.

Songwriters: Alan Menken / Howard Elliott Ashman

Beauty and the Beast lyrics © Walt Disney Music Company

 It has been said, Behind every successful man is a proud wife and a surprised mother-in-law. Today is our 42nd wedding anniversary. Now I’m not sure how surprised my mother-in-law was, but my wife has reason to be proud. She has put a lot of work into me. I really cannot imagine where I would be without her. Knowing who I was back them, I probably would have self-destructed, self-imploded or at least given up. I was a beast of sorts, unsure, untrained, unexperienced, but full of energy. She help me through college, and has supported me in every endeavor.

She has always been the beauty. I have always had a picture of her on my desk at school. In fact, once, one of my students even accused me of leaving the store picture in the frame to make it look like I was “married to a model”. Boy was he surprised when she came to visit tone afternoon!  

She has stood by me through thick and thin, and always encouraged me to be the best I could be along the way. She helped raise 5 children in California on only one salary, something that many said could not be done. She sewed dresses for the girls on holidays and special occasions. She also made sharp outfits for the boys. She cooked amazing meals. She was always there. My son recently said that he never knew we were poor while he was growing up, because mom always planned such nice vacations. We went to the Grand Canyon, camping at California beach parks, even Disneyland. She is multi-talented, Godly, and full of love. Her love extends beyond just our family, but also to anyone around her. She is truly, one in a million. We now have 9 Grandchildren that keep us busy being Mema and Papaw. I had no idea the journey, with all its highs and lows, would be this exciting. 

So, today, I wish her Happy Anniversary, and say Thank You for changing me into what I am today. I could not have done it without you! 

Did I ever tell you you're my hero?

You're everything, everything I wish I could be
Oh, and I, I could fly higher than an eagle
For you are the wind beneath my wings

Songwriters: Jeff Silbar / Larry Henley

Wind Beneath My Wings lyrics © Kobalt Music Publishing Ltd., Peermusic Publishing, Warner Chappell Music, Inc

 


No comments:

Post a Comment